The Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) is a governing board for an open-access community and technical college system. The College System of Tennessee is the state’s largest public higher education system, with more than 140 community college and colleges of applied technology teaching locations and the online TN eCampus.
Working closely with the community and technical colleges in the TBR, the Business Intelligence Engineer will be responsible for designing and implementing the overall architecture and infrastructure for TBR’s BI systems. Their role includes defining the data models, building data warehouses, creating ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) processes to integrate data from various sources, dashboard creation, and supporting reporting initiatives. This includes the initiation and research of project studies for analytics requirements/needs, development of reports, extracts, dashboards, and other business requirements.
1. Work closely with TBR institutions, -TBR System Office subject matter experts, and the Information Technology office to combine business requirements and technical specifications to support the Business Intelligence (BI) needs of TBR. Provide leadership, supervision, and direction for the Business Intelligence Developer position.
2. Develop and maintain data warehouses and data marts, Extraction/ Transformation/ Loading (ETL) specifications including mapping data from Ellucian’s Banner. Maintain the database backup and recovery processes. Support data ingestion from various data sources.
3. Link legacy data and other external systems to BI applications or platforms, and create or maintain metadata that help programs use data more efficiently and accurately. Optimize server storage utilization.
4. Serve as a data modeler integrating data from various data sources, student information system, and other institutional applications in order to support evolving business processes.
5. Produce reports, interactive dashboards, KPIs, and alerts in support of organizational needs. Provide continuous dashboard updates and security administration.
6. Analyze and design changes to data models in order to support evolving business processes.
7. Assist with researching and providing recommendations for system analytics and standards.
8. Establish a training and documentation infrastructure to empower use and understanding of data architecture and reporting. Maintain BI Engineering master documentation set. Conduct trainings consistent with duties for TBR and institutional staff as needed.
9. Provide general technical support to the office. Perform other duties as appropriate.
10. Keep up-to-date with industry trends and new technologies in BI and analytics.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
A self-starter who can work with a minimum amount of supervision
Demonstrated organizational and project management skills
Demonstrated ability to understand customer needs and provide quality service
Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills
Experience working in a collaborative environment
History of managing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
A willingness and passion to learn new hardware/software systems which are consistent with duties
Bachelors’ degree in a relevant discipline (e.g., Computer Science, Information Systems)
10 years of job related experience
Significant experience working with a Relational Database Management System (RDMS e.g. Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Postgres, etc.)
Demonstrated understanding of data warehousing concepts and ETL processes
Data modeling, dimensional data modeling, ETL process flow, and data warehousing
Demonstrated experience using OLAP/Reporting (e.g. Argos (Evisions), Cognos (IBM), Crystal Reports) tools to create reports and analytics; relational databases/Tools (RDBMS) and Structured Query Language (SQL)
Experience using Business Intelligence tools (e.g., Power BI, SAS Visual Analytics, Tableau, QlikView)
Demonstrated experience with technical writing and documenting including entity relationship diagramming
Experience working in both technical support and end-user support environments
Experience using Enterprise Guide and Visual Analytics
UNIX, Java and XML, including schema definitions and transformations
Experience using TOAD, SQL-Developer, MS SQL Management Studio or other DBMS support tools
Experience with web page development (HTML) and interfacing
Experience working with triggers, functions, packages, procedures, and forms
Good understanding of database security and regulatory compliance requirements
Familiarity with a programming/macro language such as ProC/PL/SQL and Oracle database analysis
Familiarity with secure data transfer protocols, data encryption and Microsoft Azure security
Experience with cloud-based BI platforms, such as AWS Redshift or Azure Synapse Analytics, is a plus.
Strong knowledge of Azure cloud services, including Azure storage, SQL Server, and other databases
Experience designing and developing data integration solutions using Azure Data Factory or similar tools.
Higher education experience in IT or institutional research
2-3 years of experience writing queries from Ellucian’s Banner tables.