Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 19,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
The Faculty of Agriculture, Dalhousie University is a small research-intensive campus located in Truro, NS. Offering technical, undergraduate and graduate programs in agriculture, environment and related life and social science disciplines, the Faculty of Agriculture educates future leaders and generates knowledge and innovative solutions for healthy, sustainable societies. Reporting to the Associate Dean Academic (ADA), the Manager, Educational Technology & Design will facilitate innovation and excellence in pedagogy through educational technologies and instructional design principles, providing vision and leadership as well as hands-on development and production services.
- In consultation with the ADA and campus stakeholders, envision and facilitate the implementation of innovative technology in the core teaching within the Faculty of Agriculture to benefit learning and teaching throughout the programs.
- Lead, supervise and participate in the overall instructional design process when incorporating educational technologies in course offerings, including all aspects of research, design, production, and delivery.
- Support and assist faculty and teaching staff in curriculum changes needed to utilize new technologies and learning materials. This includes providing group and 1:1 sessions on the effective use of electronic media in teaching and learning, and participating in ad hoc working groups and committees.
- Contribute expertise and support to the Faculty’s Extended Learning team on projects utilizing technology-mediated teaching and learning. Collaborate to ensure a seamless integration of development and delivery under the Extended Learning mandate.
- Manage the daily operations of the Educational Technology & Design unit, including oversight of unit finances and supervision of the Educational Media Designer and student staff.
Master’s Degree in Adult Education, Curriculum Development, or Educational Technology plus five years’ relevant experience (or equivalent combination of training and experience). Must have current, hands-on experience in instructional design; post-secondary instruction; business/industry training; educational technology applications; program and learning evaluation; and/or instructor development activities. Commitment to continuing education and research in the fields of media and instructional design systems is essential. Must demonstrate strong collaboration and communication (verbal and written) skills. Excellent problem-solving, analytical and organizational skills are required.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate proficiency in Dalhousie’s core and leadership competencies (https://www.dal.ca/dept/leaders.html), in particular:
- Adaptability - Knowledge & Thinking Skills - Service - Relationship Building - Development
Applications from university employees and external candidates are given concurrent consideration. Among short-listed candidates, university employees will be given special consideration.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Aboriginal people, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.
Additional Salary Information: Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.