The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is seeking a manager for the software engineering team. The Software Engineering Manager is the leader of the software engineering team which is responsible for the design, development, and delivery of small scale to enterprise-wide software applications and integrations used by students, faculty, and staff at Ohio University. Collaborates with other managers and technical leads throughout IT to formulate the strategic vision for application, integration, and API development. Assists in scheduling, coordinating, and designing projects. Expands the university’s use of custom applications and integrations as a strategic enabler of goals and objectives. Creates and maintains policies, standards and guidelines that direct how custom applications and APIs are developed, managed, and maintained.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Managing a team of software engineers to continually develop, enhance, and improve custom applications and integrations.
• Attracting, retaining, and cultivating high-performing software development talent.
• Painting a compelling vision that motivates team members to achieve excellent results.
• Overseeing the student software engineer program.
• Fostering a collaborative, high performance, learning culture
• Inspiring and empowering the team to collaborate and continually improve their skills and practices.
• Ensuring the team sustains the quality of their software by using practices such as test-driven development, unit testing, and continuous deployment.
• Building a strong, collaborative partnership with stakeholders, service and product owners, and IT leadership to deliver software that achieves business objectives.
• Providing high level technical assessments and estimates of projects.
• Identifying and addressing technical debt.
• Maintaining awareness of emerging technology trends, tools, and frameworks and introducing them when they can improve the team’s productivity.
• Designing, building, and implementing a technical roadmap and execution plan for the next generation integration and application delivery platforms.
• Providing architectural & engineering expertise and leads by example by rolling up sleeves to do technical deep dives, if needed.