A sensitive position requires a fingerprint-based criminal history check.
Campus Security Authority
Campus Security Authority Statement
This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities”. A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.
Designated Personnel Statement
This position is a “designated position” meaning this position could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing.
Statement of Economic Interest
Statement of Economic Interest Statement
This position may require a Statement of Personal Economic Interest.
Restricted Position Statement
A restricted position would be subject to availability of funding.
Chief Objective of Position
The Manager of Tech Support is responsible for providing high quality customer support on a number of University platforms, including workstations, laptops, mobile devices, and print services. The position manages both technical support personnel and helpdesk personnel, ensuring that all work performed aligns with the department’s service strategy.
· Supervise and manage all personnel, customer service issues, activities, work assignments, and initiatives for the Tech Support department.?
· Establish standards, processes, and documented best practices within the team, to provide for a more consistent user experience.?
· Hire, mentor and train all technical support staff, including the preparation of annual performance evaluations.?
· Design, develop, enhance, implement, and test highly complex desktop solutions that have the potential to impact the entire campus.?
· Recommend, develop, and implement software, hardware and configuration changes to improve performance of services rendered by staff.?
· Using centralized management tools, operationalize and standardize Apple and Microsoft-based software and software updates/upgrades campus wide.?
· In conjunction with other IT personnel, plan, coordinate, and implement software and hardware upgrade schedules for faculty, staff, classroom computers and lab computers to ensure the University deployed technology remains up to date and fully functional. ?
· Partition large projects into subcomponents, each of which can be handled by individual technicians.?
· Manage crisis situations, which may involve complex technical hardware and/or software issues.?
· In conjunction with ITS leadership, participate in long-term infrastructure technology strategy and planning sessions. Recommend and prioritize support-related projects. ?
· Actively develop and monitor service level agreements, ensuring requirements are met or exceeded.?
· Develop and maintain very positive and professional customer service and/or relations within the office/department and with all constituencies to include students, faculty, staff, guests, and employees. Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude and treats everyone with dignity and respect. Fully support the Student First value at CNU and routinely goes the extra mile in providing service.?
· Review and communicate safety issues to assure a safe and healthy workplace and a reduction in work related absence.?
· Serve in a designated position meaning this position could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing.?
· This position is designated as a responsible employee who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.?
· This position is designated as a sensitive position who is responsible for the health, safety and welfare of the general populace or protection of critical infrastructures. ?
· Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) required
Advanced to expert skill level with the administration and maintenance of desktop and mobile computing. Demonstrable analytical and problem solving skills, particularly as it relates to desktop systems and desktop management strategies. Facilitation and team-building skills at all levels. Maintains a high level of knowledge of one or more areas of IT specialty, including both current and emerging technologies within the specialty area. Experience improving support-related processes, with the specific aim of improving customer support. Proven, demonstrated ability to model professional integrity and behavior. Advanced hardware and software troubleshooting skills. Demonstrated skills in managing vendor relationships. Excellent organization and planning skills. Ability to operate under pressure in responding to emergencies. Ability to influence, train, mentor and leverage the skills of others, including business partners and technical team members. Ability to quickly learn complex systems. Ability to learn and gain a deep understanding of all facets of enterprise applications. Ability to write complex technical documentation. Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) preferred
Master’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related field, or Bachelor’s Degree in related field and relevant experience that equates to an advance degree.
Additional coursework in information technology. Possess or working toward the following certifications: Comp TIA (A+, Network+, Security+), Dell, HP, Apple.
Demonstrated experience managing large, complex desktop, classroom, lab and mobile environments in a fast-paced setting. Substantial experience in a technology support help desk environment. Experience analyzing business needs and evaluating technological solutions to meet those needs. Experience performing end-user support training on a variety of applications and processes.
Demonstrated experience leading, supervising, and facilitating technical teams, with a focus on desktop and mobile technologies. Demonstrated experience designing, building, maintaining, migrating, tuning, administering, and supporting a multi-platform environment (such as Windows, Apple). Experience in a mid-sized (1,500 device) college environment. Extensive experience developing, leading and managing a wide variety of technical projects. Proven experience communicating to a wide variety of constituents mainly from an academic environment.
Selected by The Princeton Review to be included in The 384 Best Colleges: 2019 Edition, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience — great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. A “student-first, teaching-first” community, CNU is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership and service. The University is located in Newport News, Virginia and enrolls 5,100 students. Academic programs at CNU encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University has recently completed over $1 billion in capital construction on its 260-acre campus, generated over 7,500 applications for a freshmen class of 1,230 and has been ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as fourth among public regional universities in the South and 10th among all regional universities in the South. In addition, CNU is ranked third among all public schools for having "the highest proportion of classes with fewer than 20 students.” Christopher Newport University is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We seek exceptional and diverse candidates and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. For further details and information about Christopher Newport, visit www.cnu.edu.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Interested parties are requested to submit a cover letter; current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references at the time of application. Review of applications will begin November 5, 2018. Applications received after November 5, 2018, will be accepted but considered only if needed. Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check.