This position requires: a professional with a solid technical background, a commitment to excellence and a demonstrated appreciation for the importance of customer service in a dynamic environment, a professional with analytical skills, persistence, good communications skills, patience, tolerance and a genuine desire to assist, and a professional that is able to work as part of a team and uses a methodical and disciplined approach to problem solving.
• Provide leadership and guidance for the installation and operation of campus and building network upgrades. • Ensure the proper administration, management, and operation of all network resources. A failure in the network would not only affect the data, but also voice communications and video streams for distance learning and result in a loss of communications for the campus. • Under direction of Assistant Director of Network Operations, this position performs professional work, which includes development, implementation and maintenance of the WVU Campus Backbone including all Local Area Networks (LAN), Metropolitan Area Networks (MAN) and Wide Area Networks (WAN). • Leads the planning and installation of network infrastructure equipment to enable connectivity, communication, operations and management of an enterprise network including but not limited to routers, switches, and fiber patch cables. • Maintain in-depth knowledge of Cisco IOS software configuration commands. Maintain in-depth knowledge of Cisco hardware. • Monitor overall performance of the campus backbone. Maintain configuration consistency across campus devices. Provide redundant connections and services as physical wiring permits. Retain up-to-date backup copies of all device configurations. Develop written procedures for all work related to network operations. Assist in keeping equipment/software maintenance contracts updated. • Plan and upgrade software upgrades to networking devices ensuring the latest security and feature sets are in place. Maintain documentation pertaining to IOS versions across campus. Monitor and check systems in order to optimize performance and to initiate recover/repairs after a failure. Checks and responds to errors logged by infrastructure devices. • Coordinate protocols for operations within the WVU system for voice, data, and video needs. Investigate, test and implement new technologies to improve WVU’s network performance, security and stability. Develop and maintain a lab for testing new technologies and operating systems. • Maintain accurate and up-to-date documentation for the WVU campus backbone, LAN and WAN segments including interface descriptions and connections. Maintain accurate documentation of errors, problems and outages of the network infrastructure equipment. • Develop and implement networking standards for the WVU campus. Design network solutions and preparing system cost estimate and cost-benefit analysis. • Develop and document repeatable operational procedures. • Maintain network security from virus, worm, trojan or other attacks on the campus network. Fully maintain intrusion detection/prevention devices. Maintain perimeter firewalls ensuring maximum protection to the network. Resolve false positives in a timely manner.
• Oversee network border equipment. Including configuring and monitoring WVU’s connection to the Internet and Internet 2. Provide redundant active/active configurations and connections to ensure high availability with minimal down time. • Maintain Network Services inventory. Provide accurate documentation of equipment serial numbers, asset tag, location and purchase information in the Inventory database. • Provide guidance to campus LAN managers to maximize network efficiency and resolve problems. • Maintain in-depth knowledge of current applicable standards and protocols established by WVU and national agencies dealing with LAN, MAN and WAN networks. • Maintains knowledge of emerging network related technologies and evaluates vendor products for use on the campus. • Maintain knowledge of workstation operations systems including Windows 7, Windows XP, MAC OS, Sun OS and Linux. Maintain working knowledge of general office application such as Microsoft Office. • Employee is expected to be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to handle problems or unusual circumstances related to network operations. Employee is expected to be on call for one full week as part of a rotating schedule for all network operations employees. This requires the employee to insure their pager and cell phone are carried with them and batteries are properly charged. All after hours issues/resolutions with the network are the responsibility of the on-call technician. • Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Ability to self-direct and prioritize tasks • Demonstrated proficiency in problem solving • Excellent oral and written communications skills • Commitment to customer satisfaction • Team oriented individual • Ability to supervise student workers • Thorough knowledge of Cisco Routers, Switches, Unified Communications, Wireless Access Points • Thorough knowledge of Internet TCP/IP protocols such as DHCP, DNS, SNMP, SMTP, TELNET, FTP, WWW, SSH • Thorough knowledge of Routing protocols such as EIGRP and BGP • Data Center and Cloud networking design a plus
• Bachelor’s degree in technology, computer science, education, communications, or related field with technical experience, or equivalent experience. A graduate degree and/or technical certifications are preferred. • Thorough knowledge of Cisco Routers, Switches, Unified Communications, Wireless Access Points • Thorough knowledge of Internet TCP/IP protocols such as DHCP, DNS, SNMP, SMTP, TELNET, FTP, WWW, SSH • Thorough knowledge of Routing protocols such as EIGRP and BGP.
• Cisco Certification is desirable
5 years of the following:
• Configuration and installation of Cisco Routers, Switches, Unified Communications, Wireless Access Points • Experience in Internet TCP/IP protocols such as DHCP, DNS, SNMP, SMTP, TELNET, FTP, WWW, SSH • Design and Implementation of Complex LANs /WANs
WVU is an EEO/Affirmative Action employer – Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran.