Union Level: Department: Provost Campus: Stockton Posting Number: 201301382P Full or Part Time: Full Time Number of Months: 12 Work Schedule: Position is eight (8) hours/day and requires occasional assignments on weekends and/or evenings. Position End Date: Open Date: 06/16/2018 Close Date: Open Until Filled: Yes Special Instructions:
Primary Purpose: Under the general supervision of the Associate Dean of Engineering this position designs, supports, maintains, and evaluates computing equipment and services; installs, configures, and maintains both physical and virtual computer systems; and liaisons with the University Pacific Technology.
Responsible for installing, maintaining and upgrading computer laboratories in the School of Engineering. Establishes system by planning, budgeting, and executing selection, installation, configuration, and testing both physical and virtual computer systems in accordance with established policies, procedures and service level agreements (SLAs). Responsible for auditing server and desktop security and implementing upgrades as necessary to meet University security policies and procedures.
Essential Functions: 1. Secures system by developing user and system access, monitor, control, and evaluation. Maintain user logon and access privileges in SOECS. Perform light programming (usually scripting, which involves writing programs to automate tasks).
2. Maintains system performance by monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshooting system hardware, software, and networks.
3. Maintains a technical inventory of current configuration of all servers, shares, printers and software installations using Pacific Technology Incident & Issue management system asset management module. Manages the SOECS software licensing, installation, and budgeting.
4. Logs each reques received into Pacific Technology Incident & Issue management system, maintains updates and follows up to deliver a superior educational experience for the student.
5. Assists the faculty in SOECS to incorporate the latest software and hardware in the classroom and laboratory to deliver a superior educational experience for the student.
6. Assist students in SOECS with implementation of new or novel software or computing platforms as required for computer science or engineering projects.
7. Manages and trains student assistants in support of the SOECS IT needs.
8. Maintains employee groups and VPN accounts working with Stockton Pacific Technology, participate in creations, configuration and management. Provides support for telecommunication devices and telecommunications-related technology.
9. Set up printing services; organize printers along VLANs, manager printer accounts. Performs network troubleshooting to isolate and diagnose problems while maintaining minimal system and printing services outages.
10. Remain up to date on new technologies and tools. (e.g Cisco and Microsoft Certification, Active Directory, etc.) applicable to this position.
11. Perform all other duties as assigned by the Associate Dean and Dean of the School of Engineering and Computer Science.
One (1) year work experience in System Administration.
Preferred Qualifications: Knowledge of:
Network Appliance products and services.
Windows Server, Active Directory, Group Policy, DNS, and/or DHCP.
Microsoft Exchange/Outlook system.
Local area and wireless network concepts and configurations.
Microsoft Windows Server.
Communicate effectively, both oral and written, with staff, faculty, and superiors.
Excellent problem solving skills.
Follow oral and written instructions with minimal supervision.
Provide outstanding customer service.
Work productively and professionally as a member of a team.
Network Appliance or equivalent Storage Area Network.
Bachelor’s degree or engineer equivalent certificate, e.g. MCSE.
Advanced Knowledge and understanding of computer application support, equipment maintenance and repair. Customer service skills for a Help Desk environment, network installations operations, server or computer management and support systematic troubleshooting, cable installation and system Security.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Extended periods of standing, sitting, walking and frequent bending, stooping, and reaching and lifting. May need to lift up to 75lbs.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Position is eight (8) hours/day and requires occasional assignments on weekends and/or evenings.
Hiring Range: Min $18.81 per hour to Mid $25.30 per hour, non-exempt
Background Check Statement: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.
AA/EEO Policy Statement: University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.