Reporting to the Assistant Director the incumbent’s primary responsibility is to serve as the contact for the technology needs of the Columbia Business School faculty. The position, both independently and as part of a faculty support team, works with faculty and divisional administrators on a wide-ranging one-on-one basis, providing concierge access to the range of services ITG provides. All efforts of the faculty support team are coordinated by the team’s lead, the Operations Manager. The team also assists in supporting the School’s students and administrators when necessary. Due to the elevated expectations of the client base, the Faculty Technology Support Specialist is considered a senior support position and, as such, is expected to act as a role model for the rest of the support organization both technically and professionally. The incumbent must have time management skills and a strong sense of personal responsibility for the needs of their clients. Columbia Business School is a leader in its field, and the incumbent must be able to accommodate a corresponding level of expectations and outcomes.
- Works with the Academic Technology team to offer world class customer service and IT support of teaching and learning technologies for its clients.
- Research and solve all technology-related problems for Business School faculty, PhD students and divisional administrators.
- Using ITIL-based software, tracks all issues and client requests. Consults with colleagues and vendors as needed while retaining ownership of issues as appropriate from initiation to resolution. While consultation with other members of ITG (and in some cases the University) is encouraged and expected, the support specialists must remain responsible for each request from initiation to resolution.
- Work proactively with all stakeholders to identify, deploy and maintain technical solutions to facilitate a secure and productive environment for personal computing, research and teaching.
- Counsel faculty members on appropriate hardware and software purchases.
- Participate in the maintenance of a knowledge base of problems and solutions.
- Contribute to process and procedure documentation and FAQs to assist users and other support specialists with technology tasks and issues.
- Assist in the development and teaching of workshops on commonly used applications, and take enthusiastic interest in developments and innovation in educational technology.
- Assist other ITG teams when needed.
- Perform other duties as required.
Bachelor's degree and/or its equivalent required, as is at least 3 years of relevant experience in client technical support.
Experience helping and supporting faculty use of technology is important. At least 3-4 years of relevant technical problem solving and client support is strongly preferred. Also preferred is a thorough understanding of and demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and resolve hardware, software and network problems in Mac OS, Windows and Linux platforms. Knowledge of technology common to the Business School environment is helpful, such as Microsoft Office, anti-virus/malware software, browsers/plugins, statistical software, enterprise imaging, enterprise academic applications (LMS, etc.), Android OS, iOS and Linux.