The University of Connecticut, University Information Technology Services, is seeking an energetic, proactive, self-motivated individual with exceptional technical skills to fill the position of Network Technician 3/4, Senior Network Engineer for the Connecticut Education Network (CEN). CEN is one of thirty-six Research and Education (R&E) networks across the country, and is part of the State's secure "Nutmeg Network", whose purpose is to deliver reliable, high-speed internet access, data transport, and value added services to its members throughout Connecticut.
Under the direction of the CEN Director, this position provides advanced level technical expertise in support of the expansion of the Connecticut Education Network, a statewide IP/MPLS research and education network.
Incumbents in this position are considered technical experts and are high-level networking professionals. Individuals considered for this position must be highly independent and capable of understanding and evaluating multifaceted networking interrelationships and complexities. This position will provide direction and oversight for the operational support of CEN and connected sites throughout Connecticut.
The University of Connecticut has been named the top public university in New England for over a decade and is ranked among the top public universities in the nation. The University of Connecticut is also a Carnegie Foundation Research University, a prestigious honor shared by only the nation's top higher education institutions.
Characteristic job duties and responsibilities include:
- Serve as the technical lead providing mentorship, technical expertise, development and supervision of the network engineering team
- Provide final tier support for an IP/MPLS network in a mixed Cisco and Juniper environment
- Provide outage resolution and post incident reporting with detailed root cause analysis
- Provide reports on network behavior, risk assessments, and proactive recommendations
- Develop software and solutions to assist in network automation
- Provide project management support for business initiatives including but not limited to requirements gathering, scoping, planning, costing, execution and close out
- Provide on-site support for network initiatives throughout the state/region
- Provide afterhours escalation support on an as-needed basis
- Develop relevant network architecture, design principals, and plans based on industry best practice and/or internal requirement in support of organizational goals
- Resolve architecture issues, and provide and implement improved design methodologies
- Provide technology roadmaps aligning strategic direction, business requirements, resources, and financial constraints
- Establish, produce, and maintain engineering plans, detailed specifications, diagrams, models, and standards as they relate to network design and deployment
- Conduct evaluation and selection of networking technologies and products for implementation into the overall network
- Represent CEN on major network initiatives and/or service development and liaise with customers, management, engineering, sales, and/or billing teams
- Support business development through customer engagement
- Document and disseminate best engineering practices for University, College, K-12, Library, and other participants in the program
This is a full time, annually renewable (end dated) position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s background and experience.
For additional information regarding benefits visit: http://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-summaries/. For additional information about the University visit: http://www.uconn.edu/ and for detailed position information and the job description visit: http://uitsjobs.uconn.edu.
Please apply online at www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application and resume that demonstrate how you meet the minimum qualifications and any preferred qualifications you may have for this position, and a list of contact information, including phone numbers for three professional references. Reference search # 2017278. Screening will begin immediately.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2017278).
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.