Job ID: 30494
Location: Evanston, Illinois
The Systems Administrator completes system installation and management, system monitoring and performance tuning, diagnostics and troubleshooting, user support coordination, backup and storage management, data center maintenance, and other related tasks. This position is an entry 3rd level support role, responsible for support in the operation and maintenance of Northwestern University's Research Computing Infrastructure, consisting of a Supercomputing (HPC) system, multiple on premise server and application environments, and cloud based computing hosted in Amazon Web Services (AWS). Actively participate in the acquisition, installation, and management of hardware (compute, IBM file system, network ), operating systems (Linux), and research and scripting software tools. Operational aspects of role involve maintaining the environment to optimal working efficiency, scripting and bringing to bear automation tools, facilitating and executing “scheduler” related activities, cloud services administration, collaboration and responding to support queue requests, and resolution of computing related events. Work closely with the research computing consulting team.
- Provides recommendations regarding infrastructure planning and budgeting.
- Assists with the technical research of products, services, and standards in support of infrastructure development efforts
- Ensures data/media recoverability by implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations.
- Supports media management through internal methods and procedures or through offsite storage and retrieval services.
- Develops and promotes standard operating procedures.
- Conducts routine infrastructure audits to ensure compliance with established standards, policies, and configuration guidelines.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive infrastructure configuration database/library of all supporting documentation.
- Creates and maintains user accounts, security, permissions, and file systems in accordance with standards and operational requirements
- Administration of Supercomputing environment (HPC) hardware (servers, network components, firewalls), operating system (Linux), utilities, and scripting and analytic tools, storage, and backup system
- Facilitation of HPC and research compute “scheduler” toolset and activities.
- Consults with Service Operations, Research Computing, and the research community to diagnose and resolve problems in a timely fashion while stressing effective user service
- Performs infrastructure installations and upgrades.
- Schedules installations and upgrades and maintains them in accordance with established IT policies and procedures.
- Utilizes available tools to monitor and measure system performance, use forecast models, and document and track system and operational metrics.
- Refine existing and create new processes, procedures, and documentation.
- Monitors and tunes the system to achieve optimum performance levels.
- Ensures infrastructure integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate solutions.
- In collaboration with system administrators, performs ongoing support and maintenance for systems and related applications.
- Prioritizes, troubleshoots and resolves issues.
- Participation in the implementation and support of cloud based research computing services (Primarily in AWS)
- Manages small project efforts for our team.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4 year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a Bachelor's or higher degree in a major such as Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 2 years system administration or equivalent experience required.
- Please see information highlighted in below.
- Infrastructure: Amazon Web Services (AWS), information security, Linux Operating System, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook), Server hardware, Storage hardware, Symantec NetBackup (or other), Windows Operating System.
- Programming Languages and Frameworks: Python, Shell Scripting, Scripting and Automation.
- Analytical: critical thinking, Debugging, decision making, problem solving, read & interpret technical drawings, Troubleshooting.
- Project: collaboration and teamwork, facilitate collaboration, functional documentation, organizational skills.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to communicate technical details to non-technical audience.
- Decision Making.
- Meets deadlines.
- Analytical and conceptual Ability Customer focus.
- Attention to detail.
- Successful completion of a full 4 year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a major such as computer science, information technology, or related field; or appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Scripting and automation tool experience.
- Intel server hardware support experience.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Linux operating system skills (Services, security, networking, and file system).
- Problem solving.
- Results Driven.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
All resumes for this position must be received through the electronic recruiting system. Forconsideration, please click on the link below. You will be directed to Northwestern University'selectronic recruiting system, myHR, where you will search and apply for current openings. To applyfor this position in myHR, enter the requisition number or the position title in the appropriate searchfield. Once you apply, you will receive an email confirming submission of your resume. For allresumes received, if there is interest in your candidacy, the human resources recruiter or thedepartment hiring manager will contact you. Requisition number for this position is # 30495.
To view the job posting and/or apply for the job, click here