Job Category: Professional/Administrative
Requisition Number: 1129
Division/Department: P/DF-Information Technology
Full time/Part Time: Full-Time
Working hours: Weekdays, Occassional Evenings, Holidays and Weekends
Job Description: Colgate University, a highly-selective residential liberal arts university with 2,900 students, is a very special place to work. A diverse group of individuals from local and worldwide communities, our staff is critical to preserving the university's high standards and strong reputation as a leader in higher education. We nurture an inclusive, collaborative culture, where each employee is treated as an important contributor, offer generous benefit packages and encourage staff wellness, learning and advancement. We offer staff opportunities to audit Colgate classes, as well as earn credits towards a Colgate undergraduate degree. Our friendly staff can be found attending lectures, working out together at our state of the art gym facilities, kayaking, paddle boarding and sailing on Lake Moraine, and participating in one of the many daily events that take place on campus and in the Village of Hamilton.
The Full Stack Programmer/Analyst supports the Colgate mission by analyzing needs, designing and developing sustainable web-based software applications, specifically, web content systems, recommending and implementing purchased web-based solutions, and providing technical guidance for academic and administrative areas of the university. This position is accountable for optimizing the user experience of developed and assigned software applications and systems.
- Design and develop complex applications.
- Gather requirements and assess functional needs to help improve user processes. Provide technical consultation on processes and systems.
- Serve as a liaison between client and vendors in coordination with project managers to provide technical solutions that address user needs.
- Research, recommend, and implement software solutions as part of a team. Maximize the usefulness and performance of assigned systems and integration points.
- Following generally accepted practices in programming and software development, develop system interfaces and system integrations. Develop custom solutions as add-ons to our enterprise systems, where necessary and appropriate.
- Deploy new modules, upgrades and fixes to assigned software applications and systems. Assist in establishing requirements, methods and procedures for routine maintenance.
- Design, create and manage database structures for development, testing and production.
- Research and consider hosted and SaaS solutions.
- Work with vendors to resolve problems and develop solutions.
- Participate in the development of contingency plans including reliable backup and restore procedures.
- Document changes to new or modified modules. Perform testing, including error handling and backup/recovery procedures. Develop user guides and training documentation.
- Lead small projects and actively participate on assigned projects and meet deadlines.
- Assist ITS in the development of best practices and actively engage in improving ITS and its processes.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Perform other related duties and projects as assigned.
(Education and Experience): - A minimum of three years of professional, relevant experience is required.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, or a related degree preferred, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable skills are attained.
- Demonstrated experience with content management systems, i.e. Drupal, WordPress.
- Demonstrated development expertise in object oriented programming.
- Familiar with, and ability to learn to script in one or more of the following: Linux-based OS or Windows.
- Familiar with, and ability to learn virtual and/or cloud environment configuration.
- Familiar with, and ability to learn to effectively run small requirement gathering meetings, solicit needs and create high-level requirements documentation.
- Demonstrated understanding of relational databases and ability to create and manage database structures as needed for development and troubleshooting.
- Demonstrated excellence in client contact and strong communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Demonstrated willingness to collaborate, share ideas openly and learn.
- Demonstrated understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the academic, cultural and social diversity in the Colgate University community.
- Must be available for on-call work as required.
Job Open Date: 03-01-2017
Application Types Accepted: Professional/Administrative
Special Instructions to Applicants: It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation and gender identity and expression, genetic information, victims of domestic violence and stalking, familial status, and all other categories covered by recruitment, hiring, upgrading, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, recall, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation and selection for training at all levels of the employment. Colgate University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Females/Persons with Disabilities/Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply.