This position is tasked with Database Administration and related system support duties for the University Banner Oracle databases. The Banner ERP databases are the primary responsibility, but support of other campus databases may be considered. Reports to Director of Information Systems. Please note that the position has the possibility of working remotely.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Ensure Banner databases are available to end users, are monitored, backed up and recoverable.
- Maintain Banner software: keep up to date with regulatory requirements, defect resolutions and enhancements.
- Maintain the Change Control database used to track PLU code modifications to Banner.
- Work collaboratively with Enterprise Systems to ensure critical servers are maintained, upgraded or patched as needed, and backed up.
- Test recovery of the Production databases on a regular, scheduled basis.
- Track Banner upgrades and patches, coordinate their application in a test environment, the reapplication of PLU code modifications, and deployment into the Production system.
- Perform Oracle upgrades and apply patches as necessary.
- Perform database and file cleanup routines as required.
- Review, deploy and apply PLU stand-alone code to the production system.
- Serve as a member of the Information Systems Security Team and actively participate in the design, configuration and implementation of security models as well as timely execution of lock down events.
- Document all activities and maintain Audit Compliance documents to support the yearly university audits.
- Communicate effectively with a diverse audience, both technical and non-technical, to ensure that a sufficient understanding of the ERP system is achieved.
- Network with peers in both the Ellucian and Oracle communities to stay current on new issues, problem resolution and software trends.
- Some weekend, early mornings and evenings required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of the Linux Operating System, as required to install and maintain databases in that environment.
- Ability to create and follow detailed project plans, and to guide others involved with projects driven by the DBA.
- Ability to create clear, concise documentation of the database systems and their administrative functions.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, as well as interpersonal skills.
- Effective problem solving and time management skills.
- Ability to teach one-on-one, as well as in groups.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, including Access and Excel.
- A solid understanding of the Banner ERP system and the Oracle Enterprise database software in a mixed OLTP environment.
- 5 years professional work experience as an Oracle DBA.