California State University, Chico invites applications and nominations for the position of Vice Provost (VP) for Budget and Academic Resources (BAR) in the Division of Academic Affairs. The VP serves as a key member of the Provost’s leadership team, reports directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, and supports the mission, values, and priorities of the Academic Plan within the context of the University’s Strategic Plan for the Future.
The VP for BAR leads and administers all planning, and resource allocation processes in Academic Affairs, including multi-year planning, budgets, related performance assessment, and project management for seven colleges and 10 administrative units within Academic Affairs. The VP is responsible for: a complex Academic Affairs budget, currently over $125 million in operating funds; personnel; academic planning and implementation. The VP manages 10 staff in the offices of Budget and Academic Resources, Institutional Research, and Academic Facilities Planning.
The scope of responsibilities of the VP for BAR includes:
- Provide systems thinking approaches to collaborative strategic planning efforts.
- Work directly with university administrators, faculty, staff, and student groups.
- Align and integrate considerations of resource allocation and generation, and University’s strategic priorities, into on-going planning efforts and deployment of resources (including diverse revenue) to achieve divisional and academic unit goals.
- Participate in the university’s resource allocation process and lead and administer the annual allocation processes for units within the Division of Academic Affairs.
- Provide guidance and support to deans and unit administrators for wise resource stewardship that ensures academic and financial sustainability.
- Ensure an annual outcome for Academic Affairs of a fiscally balanced year-end.
- Provide leadership on data-driven planning efforts and decision making by ensuring the sound development and management of operational infrastructures for data collection, analysis, modeling, management, distribution, and presentation.
- Coordinate and improve institutional effectiveness measurements and accountability management systems that support the CSU Graduation Initiative 2025, the CSU, Chico Strategic Plan, the Academic Plan 2015-2020, and address the goals of the WASC Senior College and University Commission.
- Serve as chief academic facilities resource officer for the Division of Academic Affairs, advising the Provost on space planning, utilization, and distribution of space.
- Provide leadership and leadership development that values creativity and innovation to ensure educational effectiveness and the future viability of the Division of Academic Affairs.
- Represent the Provost across campus divisions and within the California State University system on issues related to academic and financial sustainability.
- Provide staff direction and complete supervisory duties.
California State University, Chico is ranked fifth among regional public universities in the Western United States by U.S. News & World Report magazine and is one of the most popular campuses within the California State University 23-campus system. With 17,000 students, 7 colleges, and 70 undergraduate and 35 graduate degrees, the University provides students a Northern California small-college-town, residential campus experience that rivals many private universities. The campus emphasizes and fosters service to the community, civic engagement, sustainability, and diversity that transform student learning and enhance the local and extended environment. Over 100,000 alumni have distinguished themselves in the arts, business, education, and public service. Undergoing significant growth and renewal, the University is implementing a new campus master plan that will add over 200 million dollars in new construction and steadily grow campus enrollment to 20,000. Corporate and alumni development plans are fully implemented, and the Wildcats NCAA II athletic teams routinely compete for national championships. Chico State celebrates over 129 years of service as a distinguished institution of higher education. The University’s beautiful campus remains a source of pride and enjoyment for all who study, work, and live here.
As a University that educates students from a variety of ethnic, cultural and international backgrounds, we value and seek a diverse faculty, staff, and administration. CSU, Chico welcomes applicants who are knowledgeable about and interested in working within a cross-cultural learning environment.
Applicants should submit a complete and current résumé, as well as names, addresses, and telephone numbers of up to five (5) references to the CSU, Chico online system listed below. A cover letter of interest should indicate how an applicant’s qualifications relate to the responsibilities of the Vice Provost for Budget and Academic Resources. Applicants should briefly articulate their management philosophy and explain why they aspire to a major leadership position at this stage of their careers.
Review of applications will begin March 20, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. As a condition of employment, candidates will have to submit to a confidential background check and submit official, sealed transcripts. All information obtained will be strictly confidential.
Link to Apply Online
For a full position description and to submit an application: http://jobs.csuchico.edu/postings/4171
Nominee information should be sent electronically to:
California State University, Chico
Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
VP for BAR Search Committee Chair c/o Lori Fuentes (firstname.lastname@example.org)
This is a full year, full-time administrative appointment with the possibility of academic retreat rights. This position is also a “designated position” in the California State University’s Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. This position is excluded from the collective bargaining process, is not subject to probationary service, and does not receive tenure or permanent status. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
California State University, Chico employs only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. The University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, Americans with Disabilities Act employer. An annual security report disclosing crime statistics for California State University, Chico can be obtained by contacting the University Police Department at (530) 898-5372 or by accessing the following web site: http://www.csuchico.edu/up/. Additional information about the University may be viewed online http://www.csuchico.edu/pa/chico-facts.shtml and Research and Sponsored Programs information is available at: http://www.csuchico.edu/vpaa/.