UC San Diego is ranked the 9th best public university in the nation by U.S. News and World Report and is the largest employer based in San Diego County. Reporting to the VC-CFO, Information Technology Services (ITS) delivers Enterprise information technology services to the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) under the leadership of the campus Chief Information Officer (CIO).
Information Technology Services (IT Services) uses world-class services and technologies to empower UC San Diego's mission to transform California and the world as a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public university. As a strategic member of the UC San Diego community, IT Services embraces innovation in their delivery of IT services, infrastructure, applications, and support. IT Services is customer-focused and committed to collaboration, continuous improvement, and accountability.
The Business Platforms team as part of computing infrastructure provides all of the core platforms critical to campus academic and business infrastructure services, including integration with various parts of the UCSD Health System. Our services spans the entire UCSD campus network and other remote collocated data centers within the San Diego metropolitan area, in addition to hybridized architecture in the AWS, Azure and other commercial cloud space. Incumbent will serve as Senior Linux Systems Engineer on the team, responsible for developing and maintaining campus web infrastructure services to support the Link Family of Applications, the Content Management System, Data Warehousing and software development environment operations for other enterprise applications. Will serve as subject matter expert on both critical local campus and UC system level projects and initiatives, shaping ITS infrastructure while leveraging leading edge network and computing technologies.
Provide senior-level system administration and programming support for ITS computing infrastructure, which supplies essential software applications to thousands of faculty, staff, students and others. This large, high-availability facility includes over 300 Unix/Linux enterprise-class servers, an EMC VNX high performance storage system, Pure High Speed Flash Storage Array, an IBM mainframe, a NetAPP V-series, Cisco MDS SAN switches, and A-10 network load balancers fabric. Central to the environment is a high performance Virtual Server environment using VMWare ESX running on Cisco UCS, and hybridized architecture with Amazon Web Services.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce. This position is eligible for full: 1) Health/Dental/Vision Insurance 2) Vacation/Holidays (15 vacation days and 13 paid holidays a year) 3) Life Insurance 4) UC Retirement Plan.
• Employee must be available to work evenings and weekends.
• Employee must be available to travel as required.
For more information about UCSD Benefits visit - http://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/index.html and UCSD Work/Life visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/index.html
To calculate an approximate value of the UC Total Compensation package, please click here: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/total-compensation-calculator.php
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
• Expert knowledge of the Unix/Linux operating system and programming environment, including software installations, troubleshooting, security, Makefiles, Unix shells and related scripting tools, revision control, etc., sufficient to effectively communicate with audiences with varying technological knowledge.with diverse business application installations.
• Advanced experience in the configuration of complex application, storage, compute and networking environment with multiple dependencies in support of critical high impact enterprise IT services.
• Advanced knowledge of and experience with VMWare ESX, Amazon Web Services and other virtualization hypervisors. This includes provisioning, performance tuning, and recovery.
• Experience in architecture of secure systems platforms, leveraging cloud services in a hybridized topology for IT service delivery.
• Knowledge of and experience with applying best practices for systems security, performance tuning, automation and orchestration with technologies including but not limited to Chef, Puppet, Ansible, BitBucket, SOA, DB2
• Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results.ck.
Additional Salary Information: Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience