Position Title: IT Senior Associate, Level 3 - Network /Security Administrator (Provisional)
Job ID: 17508
Closing Date: Open until filled with review of applications to begin on November 15, 2017 (REVISED)
The Graduate Center (GC) is the principal doctorate-granting institution of the City University of New York (CUNY). Offering more than thirty doctoral degrees from Anthropology to Urban Education, and fostering globally significant research in a wide variety of centers and institutes, the GC provides academic training in the humanities, sciences, and social sciences. The Graduate Center is also integral to the intellectual and cultural vitality of New York City. Through its extensive public programs, The Graduate Center hosts a wide range of events - lectures, conferences, book discussions, art exhibits, concerts, and dance and theater that enrich and inform.
Information Technology (IT) is the division of the GC responsible for voice, video, and data systems and services. The mission of this unit is to promote, facilitate, and support the effective use of technology in the learning process, in instruction and research, and in processing and accessing institutional information.
Under the general supervision of the Assistant Director of System Services for Infrastructure, with wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment, the IT Senior Associate (Network / Security Administrator) is part of a team of technicians responsible for supporting all aspects of the GC network infrastructure and systems.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Administers, maintains, monitors and documents the data, voice, and video network and systems including the wired and wireless LAN and WAN;
- Manages and maintains the cabling infrastructure in the data center and multiple IDF’s across campus;
- Manages the security of the GC network including firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention, network anti-malware, and other systems and enforces network security policies;
- Keeps abreast of changing technologies; plans and implements network upgrades to ensure an optimal and secure GC technology infrastructure;
- Regularly updates the Assistant Director of System Services for Infrastructure and members of senior management regarding project status;
- Participates in designing, developing Statements of Work, negotiating cost and managing the implementation/closeout of network/telecom related projects with internal and external constituents;
- Serves as the Incident Manager for major Network and Information Security incidents; coordinates the notification and resolution processes;
- Serves as a point of contact for network problems and issues;
- Works with other IT staff to implement new systems and to resolve problems;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
CUNY Title Overview:
I.T. Senior Associates perform highly complex professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Senior Associates perform a range of work in development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar functions depending on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include diagnosing, evaluating, overseeing and resolving highly complex projects. They have wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment and may serve in lead roles on complex programs or projects, and/or serve as a direct supervisor of a unit or group.
I.T. Senior Associates should demonstrate mastery of one or more technology-related disciplines, decision-making ability in situations related to those disciplines, and be able to serve as a resource in these areas. They may contribute to decisions on I.T. policies and technical standards.
An equivalent of ten years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: ten years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus eight years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus six years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
Demonstrated English Language proficiency
A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, to qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
A preferred candidate should have:
- Five (5) years’ experience configuring and managing an Ethernet network, routers and switches, Cisco IOS and/or Extreme Networks XOS.
- Five (5) years’ experience configuring and managing firewalls: Palo Alto and/or Checkpoint and/or Cisco PIX/ASA.
- Experience configuring and managing wireless networks, preferably Cisco wireless platform: APs, Wireless LAN Controllers and Prime Infrastructure.
- Knowledge of network authentication protocols: 802.1x, TACACS+, RADIUS,Cisco ACS and/or ISE.
- Knowledge of network management tools such as SNMP-based monitoring systems and network analyzers.
- Knowledge of VoIP telephony.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP network protocols including DHCP, DNS, and IPsec VPN.
- Advanced network operations knowledge and skills, and the ability to logically follow detailed procedures.
- Ability to effectively lead diverse teams of technical professionals, and the skill to manage and motivate team members to produce quality deliverables while meeting project deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the flexibility to work successfully with multiple priorities.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
Click on "Apply Now" below which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Make sure to upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, and organization) by the closing date. Please upload all documents in Word or PDF format. (REVISED)
Equal Employment Opportunity: CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.