Position Title: IT Senior Associate, Level 2 (Provisional) – SharePoint Administrator
Job ID: 17510
Closing Date: Open until filled with review of applications to begin on November 14, 2017 (REVISED)
The Graduate Center (GC) is the principal doctorate-granting institution of the City University of New York (CUNY). Offering more than thirty doctoral degrees from Anthropology to Urban Education, and fostering globally significant research in a wide variety of centers and institutes, the GC provides academic training in the humanities, sciences, and social sciences. The Graduate Center is also integral to the intellectual and cultural vitality of New York City. Through its extensive public programs, The Graduate Center hosts a wide range of events - lectures, conferences, book discussions, art exhibits, concerts, and dance and theater that enrich and inform.
Information Technology (IT) is the division of the GC responsible for voice, video, and data systems and services. The mission of this unit is to promote, facilitate, and support the effective use of technology in the learning process, in instruction and research, and in processing and accessing institutional information.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of System Services, the SharePoint Administrator is responsible for the configuration and maintenance of the GC SharePoint Farm. The SharePoint Administrator’s responsibilities include and are not limited to the promotion of user adoption, developing and implementing a governance plan, implementing compliance and discovery, negotiating SLAs, enforcing ownership of applications and sites with stakeholders, collaborating with developers, and testing backups.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Installs, configures, maintains, upgrades and manages the GC SharePoint Farm;
- Configures all service applications such as Search, Metadata, UserProfile Synchronization, etc.;
- Assigns proper permission levels for all users of the site as well as configuring anonymous access as needed;
- Configures timer jobs depending on business requirements such as automated daily site backups;
- Trains and supports the business users in their day-to-day involvement in SharePoint sites such as uploading a document, starting an approval workflow etc.;
- Configures Business Connectivity Services for connecting to a SQL database or a WCF service;
- Manages and checks the overall health and functionality of the server;
- Monitors SharePoint disk space usage and trends through the built-in SharePoint reports for each site collection;
- Audits the SharePoint environment which may include analyzing and reporting on SharePoint usage and activity on a regular basis;
- Develops, implements, identifies, enforces and reports on governance violations;
- Works with other IT teams to deliver a highly available enterprise solution as it relates to disaster recovery and business continuity;
- Moves and copies sites; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
CUNY Title Overview:
I.T. Senior Associates perform highly complex professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Senior Associates perform a range of work in development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar functions depending on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include diagnosing, evaluating, overseeing and resolving highly complex projects. They have wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment and may serve in lead roles on complex programs or projects, and/or serve as a direct supervisor of a unit or group.
I.T. Senior Associates should demonstrate mastery of one or more technology-related disciplines, decision-making ability in situations related to those disciplines, and be able to serve as a resource in these areas. They may contribute to decisions on I.T. policies and technical standards.
An equivalent of ten years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: ten years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus eight years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus six years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
Demonstrated English Language proficiency
A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, to qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
A preferred candidate should have:
- Hands-on experience with installing, configuring and maintaining a SharePoint server farm and with planning and implementing Service Packs and Cumulative Updates and upgrades.
- Expert experience working with SharePoint Central Administration, search administration, Metadata and other service applications.
- Thorough understanding of how to use OOB features in SharePoint.
- Above basic level understanding of Windows OS, Networking, IIS and SQL Server as they relate to SharePoint.
- Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills and techniques in SharePoint (using SharePoint Event Log troubleshooting and other tools) and as it relates to Windows, IIS and SQL Server.
- Solid understanding of IIS, Active Directory and Mail Configuration.
- Knowledge of PowerShell in relation to SharePoint.
- Solid communication skills to translate needs of clients to executable designs.
- Hands-on experience or knowledge working with SharePoint via Office 365.
Click on "Apply Now" below which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Make sure to upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, and organization) by the closing date. Please upload all documents in Word or PDF format. (REVISED)
Equal Employment Opportunity: CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.