• Copy of degree/transcripts/typing certificate, if required
• Brief description of how you are qualified for this position by virtue of your interest, aptitude, education and experience required.
The Manager of Academic Technology Services within Information Technology Services (ITS), provides general supervision and operational oversight of academic and student instructional support services. Responsibilities include management of staff and service areas that focus on instructional technology - computer labs, technology enabled classrooms, the multimedia lab, Instructional TV (ITV), distance learning, and also our Events group. Services that this position supports include - academic research, the Learning Management System(s) (LMS), and software which is used for instructional or research delivery. Reporting to the Director, Information Technology Support Services the manager leads a staff of about 10 professionals to create and maintain appropriate technology to support the services and service areas. In collaboration with other managers and directors, the Manager of Academic Technology Services ensures coordinated support for academic services, as well as efforts and initiatives of ITS. The manager also works in close association with other members of the campus.
A. Academic and Instructional Support Services
o Work with key faculty committees and groups on developing education technology strategies and priorities.
o Develop and coordinate events and programs to inform faculty on trends in instructional technology.
o Deliver technology platforms, tools and services that help faculty with their teaching and research, such as collaborative learning tools (e.g. wikis, blogs, surveys, collaboration spaces), learning management platform.
o Provide excellent support for university faculty, staff, and students.
o Enhance and deliver academic collaborative tools like (Zoom, Skype for Business, ITV, etc.).
o Management of instructional technology computer labs, smart classrooms, and the multimedia lab.
o Works in coordination with Enterprise Applications to support the management of the university LMS and Distance Learning.
o Provides direct support for Academic Research and collaboration with external resources such as the San Diego Supercomputer Center, National GRID, and software used in research.
o Engage students in meaningful ways to understand their needs and uses of academic IT services.
B. Leadership and Supervision
o Provide day to day operational leadership for staff and student team members.
o Regularly meet with full time staff and student staff to mentor and coach as needed.
o Promote open communication and transparency in a manner that builds relationships and trust.
o Understand services, develop metrics, kpis, and provide continuous improvement and service life-cycle.
C. Professional Development
o Develop and build on skill sets that work towards the goals of the Student Technology Services, and the parent Service Desk & Support department. Attend workshops, training events, and/or conferences to facilitate the development of those skill sets.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree (attach copy of degree/transcripts to employment application)
• 3-5 years of progressively responsible experience leading within client services, educational technology, software licensing management/development and/or support of research in higher education
• Experience creating and setting standards for end user and campus technology
• Experience with knowledge management tools and developing knowledge and self-service support processes.
• Experience with research, instructional, or academic technologies such as LMS, faculty publishing platforms, statistical software, lecture capture, and delivery of online instruction.
• Knowledge of and ability to facilitate change management.
• Proven ability to manage, motivate, and evaluate professional IT staff.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and implement effective plans for service delivery.
• Demonstrated judgment in problem-solving, as well as proactively identifying issues and proposing solutions.
• Innovative, technical, and customer centric.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism.
• Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
• Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
• Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
• Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
• Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies and procedures.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
• Excellent computer skills and competence with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring and email.
• Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies and procedures.
• Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
• Must be able to work occasional holidays, and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
• Regular and reliable attendance is required.
• Experience teaching and/or lecturing experience in Higher Education
• Master's Degree (attach copy of degree/transcripts to employment application)
• PMP or HDI certifications
• Experience working in a higher education environment
• Successful experience working in a unionized environment
• Master or Expert level ITIL certificates
• Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
SCREENING: Only those applicants possessing experience most directly related to the immediate needs of the office will be invited to appear before a Qualifications Appraisal Board for the purpose of appraising training, experience and interest in the position.
BACKGROUND CHECK: A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SENSITIVE POSITION: Sensitive positions are designated by the CSU as requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position, based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of the people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to the CSU or individuals in the university community.
MANDATED REPORTER: The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
GENERAL INFORMATION: It is the policy of California State University; Bakersfield to hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to present documentation verifying their right to accept employment. You will also be requested to present a social security card at the time of initial appointment in compliance with state payroll regulations. State regulations require that every state employee sign the Oath of Allegiance prior to commencing the duties of his/her State employment, except legally employed non-citizens. These individuals are required to sign the Declaration of Permission to Work.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Official California State University, Bakersfield application forms must be completed in full and received in the Human Resources Office by 5:00 p.m. on/or postmarked by the specified closing date, unless otherwise indicated. Resumes are welcomed but will not be accepted in place of the official application. E-mailed or faxed applications or resumes will also not be accepted.
Applications are available outside the Office of Human Resources and may be downloaded from the Human Resources website. Candidates who reside outside the city of Bakersfield may contact the Office of Human Resources and request that an application be mailed to their residence. It takes a minimum of 4-6 weeks from the closing date for a position to be filled.
To check the status of your application, go to the Human Resources’ Job Opening/Status Inquiry page at http://www.csub.edu/bas/hr/EmployRecruit/Job%20Status%20Inquiry/index.html and click on the “Job Status” icon link. Applicants will not receive individual notifications. Upon submission, all application materials become the exclusive property of California State University, Bakersfield and will not be copied or returned.
California State University, Bakersfield is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability or covered veteran status.